By Tara M. Keyser
Love is in the air! The shelter is full of pets waiting for their forever homes, but meanwhile, our team is giving them lots of love and attention. You don’t want to miss out on this, so stop by to walk a dog or spend time socializing with the cats in the open cat room.
We have another busy year of events, so please mark your calendars. All proceeds go directly to the Shelter for the care and maintenance of the animals and facility.
- Valentine’s Bake Sale: Saturday, February 10 (10am-1pm) at Tractor Supply, Cobleskill. We have some of the best bakers in the county, so please stop by to pick up a treat for your sweet. Bakers can drop off donated items at the Shelter on Friday afternoon or at Tractor Supply after 9am on Saturday the 10th.
- Everything Jewelry: Friday, March 23 (5pm-8pm) and Saturday, March 24 (10am-2pm) at Rodeway Inn, Cobleskill (former Best Western). We’ll have refreshments and a cash bar on Friday, so plan an evening with friends to browse our sale with a glass of wine. Those who have attended in the past know there are always beautiful bargains to be found! We are accepting donations of gently used and new jewelry at the Shelter Wednesdays – Sundays during regular hours.
- Annual Auction: Saturday, April 7, Quality Inn, Schoharie (off I-88 exit 23). Preview at 11am, Auction starts 12 noon sharp. Gently used household items, antiques and collectibles may be donated at the Quality Inn on Wednesday, April 4 (10am-7pm), Thursday & Friday (9am-4pm). If you have questions or need items picked up, please contact Mary Lou at 518/234-1872 or Mary at 518/424-0132. Please no computers, clothing, TVs or books. This is a much anticipated event each year and we expect another great auction this Spring. Auction Services donated by Michael’s Auction Service, Doug Cater, auctioneer. Refreshments available.
- Chicken & Ribs Barbeque: Saturday, April 28, McCarthy Tire parking lot (11am-3pm) Catered by Barbeque Delights; be sure to stop by and pick up your first BBQ of the season!
- Fore the Animals Golf Tournament: Saturday, June 30, at Cobleskill Golf and Country Club. Lunch served at noon, shotgun start 1pm. Lots of raffles and prizes, so join us for a day of fun! More details to follow.
- Schoharie County Sunshine Fair: August 7-12, we’ll be under the grandstands again this year, so stop by to see us and pick up a new t-shirt.
For more details on these and other events as they’re scheduled, check us out on Facebook.
Shelter Picks of the Month: This month we have two great dogs to feature:
- Jewel is a very sweet, active, pittie mix, approximately 3-5 years old. She needs a home with children 12 or older since she’s so enthusiastic. She is dog selective, but may do ok with a submissive male – so a meet and greet would be required. Unfortunately, she needs a home without cats. She loves to be loved, likes to play, and go for walks.
- Frazier is a Jack Russell mix, who is full of energy, so we recommend a home with children over 12. He’s very playful, loves to go for walks, enjoys some quality petting and snuggle time. He needs to be the only pet.
Structured training would benefit both of these dogs to help with their energy levels and enthusiasm, while giving you special bonding time together.
We also have many other amazing dogs and cats available for adoption. We currently have lab-mix puppies available for adoption. Please submit your application so you can be pre-approved and when they’re ready to go, you’re all set to be matched up with your new best friend. We do not adopt “first come first served”, we want to ensure each pet goes to the best home for them. Pre-approved adopters seeking puppies will be contacted first when they become available.
Wish List: Dry cat food, bleach, non-clumping litter, 30 gallon trash bags, laundry soap, broom & dustpan set, Lysol multi-surface cleaner.
Please make adoption your first choice. Please spay or neuter your pets. Check our website at www.schoharieanimalshelter.org or our Facebook page for event details. For up-to-date photos of the Shelter’s adoptable animals, click the Adoptable Animals tab on the website’s home page for a link to our listings on the Petfinder national database. Shelter hours: Wednesday-Sunday 1-5pm.